During your stay in Iringa, you will experience a diverse array of choices for dining, shopping, or accomodations. The following are some of the specific areas you may visit to meet your hospitality and shopping needs. Contact information for many of these establishments in available on the directory page!
Places to Dine
At the following locations, may enjoy some typical mainland Tanzanian local foods including Wali (White rice), Pilau or Biryani (Spiced rice), Ugali (Cornmeal), Chapati (Flatbread), Nyama Choma or Mshikaki (Roasted meats), roasted fish, or Plantain with meat (Ndizi-Nyama).
- Neema Crafts: Visit Neema Craft if you want to experience European and Tanzanian dishes to suit all tastes. Voted the Best restaurant in the world by the UK Telegraph newspaper in 2010! For more detail, please visit their website!
- Mama Iringa: It is located in Don Bosco area, along the road to Mkwawa University College. It offers a variety of Italian food, drinks and desserts, it is a popular getaway for both locals and foreigners.
- The Haven: It is popular place to dine located in Gangilonga area nearby Gentle Hills Hotel. The restaurant serves western foods – burgers and pizza.
- Saivilla: Is another popular restaurant that offers Indian cuisine and variety of other dishes. It is located in Gangilonga off Kawawa Street approximately 500m east of Lutheran Center.
- Hasty Tasty: It is located next to Student Partnership Worldwide (SPW) office. The restaurant offers variety of food specials such as hot chick pea curry, flat bread (chapati), samosas, egg and meat chops, fruit juice and milkshakes. If you have something special to celebrate, just ask the staff at Hsty Tasty. They will arrange for you!
- River Valley Campsite: It is located outside Iringa town along Dar Es Salam –Iringa Highway in vicinity to Little Ruaha River. There is a Campsite nearby. The restaurant serves both western and Tanzanian local food. Visitors who want to have picnics and hiking are welcome.
- Miami Sports Bar: Is located near Samora roundabout and it offers delicious nyama choma mainly BBQ’d beef, chicken & goat. It is nice place to enjoy evening with friends because they have a nice VIP room upstairs which is quite.
- Greek Club: It is located along Lumumba Street in Gangilonga. It offers Greek cuisine.
Places to Shop
- Sokoni Market : Centrally located in the city, Sokoni one of the best markets in Tanzania to offers you variety of fresh fruits and vegetables. Here, you will find most seasonal produce. This market is also famous for its woven baskets, made using local reeds. These baskets are used across Tanzania and exported.
- Masai Market : It is located near Iringa main Post office or Iringa Net internet cafe. You will find valuable paintings and wood carvings and musical instruments sold at very reasonable prices.
- Matumaini Women’s Centre: You may also go to this center for shopping for things like bags, aprons, toys etc. They may also make blanket to your specification.
- Neema Crafts Centre: Iringa is also well known for this award-winning centre – Neema Crafts Centre. It is a great place to visit for shopping and eating. They make variety of items such as cards, albums beaded bits, bracelets, earrings, flip flops, cushion, vitenge patchwork blankets, lamps and lamp shade, the list goes on. The centre employs disabled people. Remember Neema Craft Centre is a great place for shopping and dining! For more details, please visit their website.
- Gangilonga Supermarket: The supermarket is located in between Gangilonga and Wilolesi, not far from Iruwasa, off Iringa Dodoma road. It is open 7 days a week.
Other areas to visit: There are many shops selling western style clothes and traditional clothes – Vitenge and Kanga near the Sokoni Market along Indian Street. You will see many other items along this area and remember to negotiate. Tell them PUNGUZA!
Places to Stay (Accommodations)
There are many nice and cheap B&B inns and hotels in Iringa town.
- Isimila Hotel: Is a cozy hotel located in Iringa town along Gangilonga – Uhuru Avenue. This hotel is ideal for guests travelling on a budget. The hotel offers clean rooms all fitted with an en-suite bathroom and a TV with satellite/cable TV service. Each room also features full length windows and a private terrace or balcony that overlooks the surrounding area. The on-site restaurant offers a complimentary buffet breakfast service which guests can enjoy in the spacious dining area and lounge. Its on-site bar also serves a range of drinks and beverages.
- Ruaha Hilltop Lodge: is about 15 km from the Ruaha National Park gate which has some of Tanzania’s richest concentrations of animal, bird and plant life. The lodge stands on the slopes of Ideremle Mountain and has breathtaking views of the valley below. Wi-Fi is available at the lodge. The lodge offers luxury self contained cottages are very comfortable and private, each with its own balcony with a beautiful view. The water is heated by solar power and the lodge has 24 hours electricity, solar powered as well.
- Serenity Hotel: Serenity Hotel is located on the Dodoma Highway, opposite Highlands Secondary School, Iringa. WiFi is available within the premises. The rooms are fitted with an air conditioner, a fridge and a flat screen TV with satellite channels. Each room is also spacious and has an en-suite bathroomThe on-site restaurant serves both Tanzanian & International dishes prepared with fresh local ingredients found in Iringa. Guests can also enjoy relaxing treatments at the spa/wellness center. The hotel organizes safaris to the Ruaha, Udzungwa, Mikumi and Kitulo National Parks.
- Zakinn Gangilonga: Is a hotel located in the heart of Iringa town on Bibi Titi Street along Dodoma Road, in Gangilonga. Any traveler on business or pleasure will find Zakinn comfy, convenient and a place of great value and service. The tranquil environment of Zakinn provides a stress free environment for its guests. The hotel offers executive double and standard rooms and twin rooms which have en suite bathrooms, spacious and enjoy 24-hour room service. Each room is equipped with a TV and a fridge.
- Saivilla Hotel: Very nice hotel with lot of services. For more detail, please visit their website.
- Wiloles Hiltop Hotel: It is located in the city, off Dodoma road. The hotel have spacious and tastefully decorated guest rooms to offer you the and comfortable and relaxed environment. Rooms are self-contained with hot showers and TV. The hotel is neat and offer four single and eight double rooms, two suites and four executive suites.
- Iringa Lutheran Center: The Center owned by the Iringa Diocese of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Tanzania. The Centre is managed by Bega Kwa Bega which represents a companion relationship between the Iringa Diocese and the Saint Paul Area Synod in Minnesota, USA. It offers comfortable and affordable accommodation for both Tanzanians and foreigners. For more details, please visit their website.
- Neema Craft Gest House: For more details, please visit their website.
- Kalenga Motel: It is centrally located within the city centre along Uhuru Avenue, Miyomboni. It is one of the largest hotels that offer more than 48 comfortable rooms. The hotel offers both food local and western cuisine.
- M.R. Hotel: Located in City Centre along Mkwawa Road, a walking distance from Iringa bus terminal. It offers comfortable rooms for accommodation and also multi-use conference rooms.